Saturday, March 14, 2009

Who watches the movie?

Music: Red Hot Chili Peppers (Quixoticelixir is my current favourite song)

Saw Watchmen with some friends friday evening. It had some pretty high hopes to live up to - and it did.. pretty damn well. I had issues with it, but the book itself is so freaking good and difficult to transform into a different medium that i think they did a damn fine job. My main problem with it was the soundtrack. Now, all of the songs were wicked - for the most part original versions or covers of 70's or 80's classic rock stuff - but other than a few examples they usually didn't fit with the scenes and they certainly didn't fit with each other. It was one of the most incohesive soundtracks I have heard. Good songs though.
The opening montage during the title credits alone was worth the price of admission, though. That was fantastically done - I love movies with cool credits.
And Rorschachs outfit (basically his mask) was perfect.
And great casting (for the most part. Laurie and Veidt coulda been better, but they were alright for the characters)

And I love how even though they didn't have the squid, they managed to put in an homage to it in the form of a briefly visible acronym S.Q.U.I.D. on the control screens for Veidt's machine framing John.

You gotta have the squid.. dammit..

No comments:

Post a Comment